Asda has recently launched their ‘Just Essentials’ range which offers a range of cheap foods to suit every budget. The range relies on fuss-free packaging to save money and the yellow colour is easy to spot on the shelves amongst other products. We wanted to try some of the range and created a chicken tray bake for just 41p per person – prices correct as of 23 August 2022.
What foods are in the Asda Just Essentials Range?
There are plenty of options to choose from in the Asda Just Essentials range.
Some of the fruit and veg products include:
- Kiwi Fruit – 88p for four
- Raspberries – £1.49 for 150g
- Gala apples – 90p for six
- White potatoes – 99p for 2.5kg
- Cherry tomatoes – 50p for 250g
Some of the fresh meat and poultry products include:
- Gammon joint – £3.50 per kg
- Salmon portions – £10.49 per kg
- Chicken thigh portions (bone-in) – £1.76 per kg
Some of the frozen products in the Asda Just Essentials range include:
- 20 breaded chicken nuggets – 85p
- 10 fish fingers – 69p
- 10 beef burgers – £1.60
- Sweet and sour chicken with rice ready meal – 90p
- Beef mince with onion – £2.65 for 650g
Some of the cupboard essentials from Asda Just Essentials include:
- Chopped tomatoes – 32p
- Spaghetti loops – 16p
- Strawberry jam – 34p
- Mild curry sauce – 28p
- Red kidney beans – 33p
School lunch box items:
- Rice pudding – 23p for 400g
- Strawberry jam – 34p
- White bread loaf or wholemeal bread loaf – 39p
- Chocolate chip cookies – 39p
- 6 raspberry mini rolls – 45p
- 6 white rolls – 49p
- 5 caramel wafers – 57p
- Ham slices – 64p
(Prices correct as of 23 August 2022).
Asda Just Essentials Chicken Tray Bake – 41p per person
My friend Amber has a family of 4 and wanted to create a budget-friendly dinner from the Asda Just Essentials range. She decided on a chicken tray bake that could be put into one dish in the oven, making prep and clean-up a breeze.
For this dinner Amber purchased:
A bag of potatoes for 99p. The bag was 2.5kg and had 21 decent-sized potatoes inside.
A bag of chicken wings for £1.92, and there were 16 wings inside.
A bag of red onions for 75p, and there were 9 onions inside.
The ingredients used from this shop came to £1.64, so that’s 41p per meal.
If you wanted to bulk out the meal with a part-baked bread roll then the cost would go to 53p per person.
NB: We are not including the cost of the spices used, as Amber already had these in her cupboard.
Potatoes are great – here’s why
Potatoes are a great staple to cook with for a variety of reasons.
They are a cheap ingredient that can be used in a whole host of recipes and meals.
That’s before we get on to the nutritional benefit of potatoes. The skin of the potatoes contains lots of vitamins and minerals, so if you can avoid peeling them then you can get the most nutritional benefit.
Amazing health benefits of potatoes include:
- They are rich in vitamins and minerals
- Being high in antioxidants
- The resistant starch in potatoes can help gut health
- Potatoes are naturally gluten-free
Potatoes are also extremely versatile and can be used in a whole host of recipes.
Here are some potato recipes that we love: