We are a nation of take away lovers. One take away that I love but cannot justify the cost of is a curry. This chicken tikka recipe takes 32 minutes to prepare and cook which is quicker than it takes me to drive to our nearest Indian take away, place an order and drive back.
Whether you are dodging the Friday night curry or you are planning this as a weekday meal, this instant pot chicken masala recipe makes 6 – 8 servings, meaning you can eat it as leftovers for lunch, freeze it or serve it at a large gathering.
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 900 grams chicken breast fillets
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon chilli seasoning (or chilli flakes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Mix together turmeric, cumin, nutmeg, chili, salt, and pepper.
- Toss mix through chopped chicken.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté.
- Add in butter.
- When butter is melted add in garlic and onions. Sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add in chicken. Sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water.
- Put lid on Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Once Instant Pot is done, do quick release. Mix in tomato paste, masala, and coconut milk.
- Serve over rice with a side of naan bread. Garnish with coriander and dried coconut.
How to save money on this chicken tikka recipe
There are a few ways that you can save even more money on this recipe.
- Buy your chicken breasts from the yellow sticker shelf.
- Bulk buy your spices.
What to serve with chicken tikka masala
If you have enjoyed this chicken tikka recipe then you might be looking for the perfect accompaniment.
You can serve your favourites from naan bread, poppadoms, rice, dhal, potatoes, samosas or chutney.
My favourite is bombay potatoes which are cheap to make and taste delicious with this chicken tikka recipe.
Cooking with an instant pot
An Instant pot is a great kitchen appliance that replaces up to seven kitchen appliances (such as a pressure cooker and rice cooker). Although it looks like slow cooker it actually speeds up the cooking process and allows you to simmer, braise, slow cook, steam and warm your food even faster. They are so versatile that you can even make yogurt in them.