Crispy potato skins are perfect for a starter or a snack whilst watching a film. A plate of them with some dips is a delicious way to kick start a meal and a bowl full is great for parties, covered in melted cheese! How do you make crispy potato skins though? Let’s run through this ultra-simple recipe.
What You Need
There are only a few ingredients you need for this crispy potato recipe which is ideal when you haven’t got a lot of cash to spend.
- 6 large unpeeled potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
If you have dried rosemary, that’s absolutely fine. This recipe can be scaled up if you’re serving them for more people or laying them on at a party.
How To Make Them
- Firstly, switch your oven on and preheat it to gas mark 6, or 200°C
- Whilst the oven is getting to temperature, prick each potato all over before rubbing with some of the oil. Pop them straight onto the oven racks and bake for about 3/4 of an hour. They should feel soft to touch.
- Now leave them to cool down.
- Once cool, slice each potato lengthways into halves, then in half again so you have quarters.
- Spoon out the inside of the potato and put to the side to use at a later date. Be sure to leave a small layer of potato about half an inch, attached to the skin.
- Cover these skins pieces with the rest of your oil before lining them up on a wire rack set on a roasting tin. They should be skin side down.
- Get seasoning with your salt, pepper and rosemary. Be generous.
- Return to the oven for half an hour, turning after 15 minutes, until they are crisp and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Eat & Enjoy
These crispy potato skins are much more filling that normal crisps and they are better at holding your dip too. If you fancy getting cheesy, you can add some grated cheese five minutes before taking them out the oven. Top dips to enjoy them with include salsa, BBQ sauce, hummus, sour cream and guacamole. You can even use them as an edible soon for your spicy chilli con carne. These crispy potato skins are the perfect munch to enjoy with a couple of beers or on an evening with friends. Enjoy making them as much as eating them. Scrumptious!
Why not enjoy a frozen cocktail or too?