Birthdays are so much fun to celebrate. Gifts, cards, days out, making memories. One thing that everyone should have though is a cake. You can’t beat a chocolate birthday cake and we’ve got a perfect recipe for you for your next annual celebration!
Easy Chocolate Cake
When birthdays come around, you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen making a cake when you’ve got other things to organise. This easy and delicious chocolate birthday cake recipe will sort your cravings out and dazzle the birthday boy or girl on their big day. So what do you need to be able to make the cake?
The Ingredients You Need
For the cake
- 200g self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 200g unsalted softened butter (extra for greasing tins)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- 100g milk chocolate
- 400g icing sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
How Do You Make It?
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 5 (190°C)
- Grease two 20cm sandwich tins and line with parchment
- Beat together the caster sugar, butter, eggs, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla extract, milk and pinch of salt in a bowl until it’s well mixed and pale
- Split the mixture equally between the two tins and place in the oven for 20 minutes, checking from about 15 minutes to see if a skewer comes out clean
- Leave in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack so they can cool
- Whilst the cake is cooling, microwave the chocolate in a bowl, stirring every 20 seconds to ensure it melts equally
- Beat together the butter and icing sugar
- Add the cocoa powder, pour the melted chocolate and milk and mix together until smooth
- Sandwich the cakes together with half of the buttercream before spooning the rest on top
- Add any toppings as you wish – sprinkles or chocolate buttons go down a treat
Of course, you’ll need some candles for the birthday boy or girl to blow out. Make sure yo get plenty of photos of that moment and rerun it a couple of times should you want extra renditions of Happy Birthday. Be sure you get a decent wedge of the chocolate birthday cake, you’ve put the effort in, you need to taste your creation!